Tuesday 9 August 2016

Ebb and Flow


Hey guys, so this month I thought I would write about something quite personal to me that I've somewhat struggled with during my teenage years and this struggle has to do with faith and my relationship with God. This inclination to speak about my faith  is not something I'm used to especially speaking out loud to other but I feel this is an issue most young people go through especially during our teenage years as we go through a number of changes physically, mentally  but also spiritually and with these changes are also the ebb and flow of our relationship with God. This is something I've struggled with especially beginning university this past year which allowed me to question my faith and spirituality and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. So I thought, I would write about the ways I've started to build my faith and renewing my spiritual life. I hope this can help someone who may also be struggling with a constant ebb and flow especially as we are getting to the last few months of the year, it would be amazing finishing this year 2016 with God on your side and entering the new year on a good note.

Have faith




















Fear is one the weapons the enemy will use to pull you down and I can say that I have certainly let fear take over in my life. In the past few years, I've found it difficult overcoming fears in my personal problems and this inability to overcome my fears left me confused and questioning my faith. One thing I've learnt through these times of fear is that these moments aren't forever and in times of loneliness or confusion it's always wise to have faith and pray that God pulls you out of whatever traps you are in. This mean praying without seizing, meaning you just don't pray once about something but if you really want answers you have to be persistent and through that persistence in due time you will get an answer. As obvious as it sounds this is something i feel we sometimes forget to do instead we try to solve problems ourselves as soon as possible rather than having faith and leaving it all in God hands to take control. Here is a article that speaks more about overcoming fear that helped me https://www.joycemeyer.org/articles/ea.aspx?article=the_key_to_overcoming_every_fear

An accountability partner or group 

Being someone who is quite optimistic and  talkative to everyone, I've found it difficult opening up about my feelings and most importantly on my ebb and flow in faith. This is due to the fear of being judged or ridiculed by others and I know this is a common feeling with most people. Although there are those who have someone to mentor them through their time's of worries and confusion; there are others, like me, who may not have a mentor or a support group around them to guide them on the right paths. However, through getting an accountability partner or group I would advocate to ensure that you don't put confidence in the wrong companions but to surround yourself with  those who won't ridicule or judge you but will love and support you rather than those who will pull your spirits. These are the wrong companions that you must guard the doors of your mouth to ( Micah 7:5). That is why it's important to surround ourselves with likeminded people who have the intentions of  drawing you closer to God rather than letting you indulge in the wrong things

Changing your mindset 

This is an advice I had to learn the hard way by myself. Truthfully, I am someone who doubts my every action and every time I decided to stop relapsing and actually commit myself to walking with Christ, I would still doubt whether I was worthy enough, whether I could stand with Christ without falling back into worldly things but also constantly comparing myself to others. It's these mindsets that stopped me from actually making a commitment because when I did fall back to my old ways of not praying, reading the word of God or indulging in sin. I would simply live in my wrong ways rather than getting back up and this mindset also affected my actions in real life situations. However, what I've learnt is the fact that walking with Christ is a journey from understanding the word, finding yourself and going through a growth spiritually. Therefore, It's your choice whether you want to start this  journey to achieve the end result (The kingdom of God) or give up with questions of what if I did and if I didn't.

I really hope this speaks to someone :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment